Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Trip to the Grocery Store


We have a few grocery stores here in Phnom Penh. We are grateful for them - but we always see some strange things when we go there! I also noticed on my first grocery trip since Wal-Mart how small the carts are here in Asia! Usually Cambodians can only afford to buy a few things from the store at a time. These carts are not made for Americans who only want to do grocery shopping once a week!

Here are avocados. I was surprised to see them - and thought it was picture-worthy! Avocados are grown in the northeast part of Cambodia. I was shocked that these three avocados were only 88 cents!!

Okay, so I never saw these in Wal-Mart! Nor have I ever really noticed them at the grocery store before this trip! This is a package of chicken hearts. I'm not sure who eats these, or how they eat them - but I guess somebody does or they wouldn't be selling them!! What a buy - it's $1.89 for all those chicken hearts!


This is some kind of fish that probably came from the Mekong River. They prepackage fish along with all the other ingredients to make soup. That's what this fish has along with it - it looks pretty scary though!


This just always amazes me - so I thought I'd take a picture of it! A lot of items at our grocery store are crazy over priced! Especially products that have come from America. Honey is one of those items that is really, really expensive!! These jars of honey are over $7 per jar! I hope you enjoyed the pictures from our trip to the store!

No comments: